Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Perspective


I was with the little dude the other day. I've been 'working' with him for the past three years on a couple evenings every week and the weekends during the off-season. For those of you that don't know, he's autistic and about a year and a half ago his dad died suddenly..(his dad was my age.) The job is set up through Family Outreach in Helena and unfortunately, there aren't nearly enough people, males especially, to work with these kids. The pay sucks so most people, even though they might want to contribute, can't or chose to go into other fields that pay better. My role is to bring him out in public so can socialize and become comfortable with norms and develop appropriate boundaries. What it allows me in the spring, is to have a little fishing buddy..


A couple weeks ago I picked him up from his house and he was very excited to show me his Nerf gun he got for Christmas. He pretty much carried the gun with him everywhere we went. One day he asked if he could show his dad his gun.


No comments:

Post a Comment