Monday, April 29, 2013

Risk/Reward


The wind up on the Mo these last few days has been absolutely brutal. We actually had water spraying up over the back of the boat drenching us all on a number of occasions a couple days ago. At one point I thought we were going to get blown into the rocks and if you've been on the Missouri much you know that you would almost have to try to run into something as it's a pretty tame river. Fish still gotta eat though and if you can deal with the wind, you'll get 'em.

Two days ago we decided to try to get out of the wind by floating the canyon. The theory is, is that when there is anything but a NE wind, you can find cover in spots in the canyon and get out of it. The reality was that at some point it got so windy that it just funneled through the canyon, which intensified it and made it swirl hitting you from every direction. So yesterday we just said fuck it and got out of the canyon and went back down low and as my clients Bob Main and Mike Rose said, "We hit a home run."

It was windy down there but it was a constant wind that was consistently coming out of the South West, which actually helps push you through the dead spots. The fishing in the canyon was good but we had a lot of boats to contend with. The fishing down low was better and the quality of fish were spectacular. And again, as Bob and Mike both expressed, not only was the fishing better but it was nice to have the entire river to ourselves.

I've been criticized for taking "un-necessary risks" with clients and I know that I've been over-looked for trips because of that perception. I like to show clients new experiences. I take calculated risks and I do my home-work and it pays off. I just got off the phone with Gary Fritz of Osprey Expeditions, who told me that's what he likes the most about me as a guide, which I guess is where I've made my niche.

One last thing I'll say that came out of the conversation with Gary is I would encourage anyone who is coming up to the Missouri to buy local. What I mean is support you're local economy by hiring guides who actually live here and who have been supporting the businesses for years and who know the river. Talk to your outfitter when booking the trip and make that a priority. I'm confident you'll have a more fulfilling experience.

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment