Friday, May 17, 2013

Deep Thoughts...

I was golfing yesterday at Bill Roberts in Helena because I guess I don't have enough expensive hobbies. It's actually a really good way to get away from the scene for a little while and not think about all the politics. I'm not going to lie. It's frustrating to be overlooked for work in favor of guys that have just shown up on the scene when you know how long you've supported the businesses in the area and how hard you've worked to develop your craft. We all have choices though so I'll continue to support those who support me. It is what it is and in the end I'm sure it will all work out. Tis' the season right? It seems like you always go into every year worried about holes in your calendar but somehow they seem to always fill in.

So I'm standing on the 13th tee-box, which is a short par 3 over some water. The hole is usually 139 yards with a nasty green that you really want to be on the right side of. The tee-box was up but the flag was back right so I ranged it...119 with a little help/right to left wind. I don't have a gap wedge I trust so I pull the sand wedge.

Feeling like I need a little extra on the wedge I over grip and pull it to the left side of the green. As it lands and spins to a stop I say, "That's an easy 3-putt," to the gentlemen standing on the tee-box watching.

Terry, an older guy I joined up with says, "Oh come on, you got to give yourself a chance. You got to tell yourself you'll make that."

"I'm a realist."

The green has a huge ridge running vertical down the middle with a quick run-off to the front of the green. My ball is on the left side of the ridge and the pin is only a few paces from the back on the opposite side of the ridge. I'm looking at about 45 feet. I send my first put almost to the fringe on the back of the green, over the ridge and watch it break back to hole. It stops hole high about 7 feet short. I can't keep my next putt above the hole and it breaks about 3 inches low for a 3-putt bogey.

"You talked yourself into that one," says Terry.

"Well," I said, "at least I was right."

I know what Terry was saying and I get it. I've coached people in those same positive thinking habits so as we got to the next tee-box I said, "Terry, I suppose if a person predicts failure they ought to feel pretty good about being right, huh?"

He chuckled and tee'd up his ball driving it down the middle about 200 yards.

I parred the next two holes and then went double-bogey, birdie, par to end that nine with a 39. I continued on to make the turn golfing the front nine as the back and finished with a 79; three under my handicap. I had 3 doubles but also birdied two holes and went par or better on 12 of 18. I would say my round showed resiliency, which could be a parallel for the way I've approached my guiding career for the past 7 years.

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment