Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Back At It

After a long weekend of nostalgia, reconnecting, exploration and heart break...yes, heart break; I was back on the Mo guiding today. Before I hit the water, I tied up some of these guys.

About a month-and-a-half ago, we didn't really have much for bugs except tricos. When the tricos disappeared somewhere around ten in the morning, nothing else was happening but the fish still had to eat right? So I started having my clients dead drift buggers. It was partly because of the damselfly nymphs and partly because I thought there were crayfish in the water. The trout ate the shit out of them regardless.

A couple weeks into it, I found a number of golden stone nymphs so we fished girdle bugs and rubber legs and again, we crushed it.

A couple more weeks later, John LaRue told me his boys were digging around the rocks and found tons of little crayfish with soft shells so we started experimenting and again, crushed it. I tied these crayfish patterns a couple years ago preparing for high water that didn't come so they sat in my box until now. I had about two dozen of them and just ran out the other day. It's pretty tough to lose them when you tie them on with 2x tippet and let me tell you, the rate of fish you actually get to the net is pretty impressive.

Today was a little slower but still good. I've been dropping a small hairs ear behind the crayfish but they wouldn't eat it today so we went crayfish/dirt snake...pretty fricken deadly.

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment