Thursday, March 13, 2014

March on the Madi

 
Nathaniel, Torrey and I headed out on the Madison yesterday afternoon for a few hours. We'll call it recon but it was really just an excuse for Nathaniel to skip out of work.  
 
With bright blue skies and a little pressure, fish weren't all that willing to come up to the thousands of midges hatching so we went down and dirty to bring a few to the net before chucking the big stuff. We might have gotten a few to eat the streamers but really only had one confirmed fish on. The nymphing was good in spots however, so if you want to put your hands on a couple, go down get 'em.
 
Ok, so I'm not going to go crazy in-depth and I'm going to try to keep my opinions to myself but I have to tell you about my experience with the healthcare.gov website and the Health Insurance Marketplace.
 
I'm a small business owner so this is important to me. I've been living without insurance for almost nine years. In that time I tore ligaments in my foot and was told I needed to have surgery to fix it. I couldn't afford it so I opted out and spent a couple years in pain but eventually, I did get over it. I also severely sprained my ankle, which took over 3 months for the swelling to go down only to sprain it again a month after I thought it was getting better while wade fishing on the Dearborn. The second time it only took a few weeks to come back to normal size but now it stiffens up in the cold and makes popping noises when the weather changes. Other than that, at the age of 43 I feel incredibly lucky to not have had anything too serious happen.
 
The deadline to sign up for healthcare is coming up so I figured it was time. I went on the site, it took me about an hour and I actually read through most of the plans I qualified for and let me tell you, I'm glad I did. A couple years ago I checked into getting insurance and my monthly premium was going to be around $290 with a $5,000 deductible. My out-of -pocket costs now are only a fraction of that and my deductible is only $500.
 
Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment