Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter Weekend

 
 
Easter weekend was an incredibly busy but fulfilling weekend out here in Montana. It was the last weekend to take advantage of our Sky Cards at Big Sky so Jill and I headed out and skied Friday and Saturday with the big show Saturday afternoon. If you've never seen pond skimming, you really have to check this out. Go to YouTube and search "pond skimming." You'll love it.
 
As for the skiing, it was pretty fricken awesome. Big Sky now manages Moonlight Basin so there is more terrain than any other ski hill in the country. This is the busiest weekend for Big Sky so with the help of our resident skier, Nathaniel Pehl, we managed to get over on the Moonlight side of the mountain and skied pretty much free of the crowds a good part of Friday and all of Saturday. With temps getting up into the 60's, the snow softened up early and stayed good until we headed back over to Big Sky for the show--classic spring skiing.
 
Again, it was incredibly busy at Big Sky--especially on Saturday. I have to give them crazy props for how they handled it. They were so accommodating from the minute we stepped on the shuttle bus to getting our tickets to riding the shuttle back. I've skied a lot of other hills and I know how it gets at the end of the season when the staff has already checked out and those last few days it seems impossible to find a lifty that isn't baked but these guys were pros right up to the end and it made for a really good couple of days. I'll definitely be back.
 
This weekend is also the weekend that I turn the page and get serious about guiding again. The skis are hanging up, snow pants are packed away and although I've been guiding already and have been on the water quite a bit, now it's really game on. I have a few days coming up that I'm pretty excited about although my spring as a whole, looks a little thin. I'm trusting however, that if I control what I can control, focus on the positives, and not get hung up on the BS, it will all work out. I knew by getting my outfitter's license I was going to lose some business from some outfitters so I was kind of bracing for it.
 
Easter is the time for leaving all the junk behind and moving on; focusing on becoming better as a person, a better as a partner, a better son, a better whatever. It's a little unnerving knowing that I'll be on my own for a lot of my days but I also appreciate and respect those shops and outfitters that continue to support me and I promise, I will continue to reciprocate.
 
Keep 'em where they live...
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment