Thursday, September 11, 2014

Day By Day

Ok, so as for the fishing, pretty f'n stupid on Tuesday...

I took Craig Fellin from the Big Hole Lodge and one of his clients out. They don't want to have anything to do with the Upper River so we went down low. I usually don't do that with a north wind but I didn't think it was suppose to be too bad so we did it. Let's just dispute another myth; fishing can be good with a north wind. (I heard that from a guy who fishes the Mo a ton. I golfed with him a couple years ago and he said the fishing usually turns off with a north wind.)

As for the weather change; it definitely turned things on. We had trico duns in the morning, pseudos, some caddis, a couple PMD's and I even saw one mahogany dun and a blanket hatch of BWO's in the afternoon. We threw the short lease and parachute Adams and absolutely had a blast. We also never saw another boat...

Ok, so yesterday I figured it would be more of the same, right? Not so much. I took my guys down low again and we only saw a handful of BWO's. Fish were up but they were much pickier and by 4pm, it was done.

My guy was a quasi meteorologist who has a very good understanding of the weather. We discussed the whole low-pressure thing and how weather moves in and what happens to the barometer. Apparently, as the front comes in, low pressure is dominant and we have what we had on Tuesday and every fish was looking up. As the front passes, instability and high pressure occurs and fish don't like that. I don't think the bugs do either. Stay with me. I'm going to get a handle on all this.

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment