Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Fishing Report Mid-Sept.


The weather is warming up so it's better that I fish and make a little money than hunt and spend it. That and seeing how many people were in the woods chasing elk last weekend, it's probably better that my calendar filled up this week anyway. As for the fishing, it's been good...real good. (I'll tell you about the hunting later.)

The half-days last week were good because I did get out hunting and then we hit the river when the getting was getting good. It's that time of the year where even though the water temps are still in the upper fifties, the temps cool down quite a bit in the night so it takes a little while for fish to get moving on the bugs. When they do, it's pretty stupid. And the browns...they're still eating.

So what are they eating? Well, I like to start out with mayfly stuff because there are still a fair amount of tricos in the morning and some BWO's. They might not be hatching but they're in the water. Pseudos, pseudos, pseudos...they're still here and with the right conditions, fish that are on them will eat bigger parachutes when presented well. I haven't caught a fish on a hopper in a while or an ant but I wouldn't rule it out and the caddis are popping in the afternoon. It's been good.

Ok, so if you want to get a bit Western, here's the deal; crane flies and October caddis. That's all I'm going to say.

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment