Thursday, February 19, 2015

Firehouse Subs

 
What does this have to do with fishing? I'll tell ya. I was watching TV the other night and a Firehouse Subs commercial came on and I was like, "Hey, I know that guy." It was Robin Sorenson, the founder of Firehouse Subs. I guided him about five years ago on the Missouri so yesterday, I went to the newly opened Firehouse Subs in Bozeman for lunch to finally try his place out.
 
Like I said, I fished with Robin and his wife about five years ago while they were staying at the Bell Cross Ranch. They had never fly fished before and to my knowledge, had never been to the Missouri so this was their first introduction to the amazing resource the Missouri is. They were awesome. We had a great time and we even caught a few fish.
 
 
Spending the day with those guys was really cool--definitely a day I'll remembered for a long time. I was really interested in Robin's story. He was just a normal dude that had worked his ass off to get everything he has gotten. Like the slogan says, Firehouse Subs was "founded by firemen." Robin came for a long line of firefighters and one day just decided fighting fires wasn't for him. So in 1994, he opened his first sub shop in Jacksonville, FL using his mother-in-law's credit card to purchase their starting inventory. They literally started with nothing and took a huge risk to completely shift from what he was doing to doing something he really enjoyed and 15 years later when I met him, they had gone from one restaurant in Jacksonville to over 600 all over the South! And now, there are Firehouse Subs literally spanning across the entire country.
 
It's good to witness those kinds of success stories. It inspires folks like me to take healthy risks and make things happen. Who knows, maybe another healthy risk is in my future...
 
Keep 'em where they live...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment