Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Sa' Mokin!

 
"So what do you do with all those ducks you shoot?"
 
It's a fair question and I totally get that ducks aren't the greatest table fare but there are some things you can do with them. They really aren't bad if you bake them to medium rare after marinating them over-night. I use Dakota Buckaroo. I've also heard of people soaking them in milk and then grilling them. The deal is, you have to get them to bleed out so milk or some kind of brine is the way to draw it out of them. Then you can't over cook them or you may as well be eating shoe leather. I had a couple days off so after shooting a round of golf, I busted out my new smoker Jill bought me for my up-coming birthday.
 
I really like smoked duck. Again, I use Dakota Buckaroo marinade over-night and then smoke them for about 8 hours, (depending on the amount of ducks,) or until they are firm. They should still be in red inside and when you slice them, it will look like deli meat. For smoke, I use mesquite wood blocks and try to keep the heat at about 150 degrees.
 
I like to slice the meat up and make sandwiches with it--Dave's killer bread, butter, mayo, cheddar, and avocado. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper and watch out. It is so good.
 
Keep 'em where they live...
 
P.S. I can't serve it for guide lunches unless a client asks. Trust me, you'll want one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment