Sunday, January 31, 2016

January Fishing Report


Jim Murray, aka Big Jim, and I hit the Missouri last Thursday for a little R & D and just to be able to say we are hard-core anglers fly fishing in January. This was the first fish right out of the gates, which means one of two things; either the fishing is going to be great or this is the kiss of death. Here's what I'd say about the fly fishing right now. Go after perch on the lake...

To be fair, I've been a little obsessed with the GoPro thing, which is why I haven't written in a few days and that also may have influenced our production with the fly rods. I've rigged up a camera on a duck decoy that hangs underneath the water and bought a salt-water spinning rod so we could have the decoy drifting out from the boat along with the nymph rig. It's not the easiest to get the boat drifting right for the angler while trying to control the camera so we were definitely not putting our best foot forward on either front. Having a third would have helped.

We did manage to land a few fish but it wasn't great. We also got a few cool underwater shots but probably learned a lot more from our shortcomings than successes. We will keep after it though because I think there's definitely potential of getting some cool shots of fish either eating a nymph rig or at least getting hooked up.

As for my computer woes, I've been trying to figure out the best programs for editing videos and can't seem to find the best fit. The GoPro software is limited and freezes up A LOT. I tried Corel VideoStudio X8, which does what I want but it has it's problems too. Sometimes it doesn't like to open all the way and it freezes up too. In the process of downloading different programs, I may have put a virus on my computer, which just complicates it all and is incredibly frustrating. (I almost lost my laptop out the window the other day in a fit of rage...) Any suggestions would be more than welcomed.

As for the fishing, we did actually get a few opportunities on streamers, which was pretty cool. We didn't throw them until right at the end and just remember, it's winter so slow, low and let it troll..

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment