Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Ponder This

 
This was sent to me by a guide and friend yesterday. It was posted outside a grocery store in Helena. My first thought was, "So, I know of a banker that was an accused pedophile. Does that mean we should all be more careful when we go to the bank?"
 
 
(I apologize for coming off as being insensitive because this person must have gone through something pretty troubling and I truly do feel sorry for all victims in any crime that involves minors being taken advantage of but this is a fishing and hunting blog so let's talk fishing.)
 
I didn't fish this weekend after Jim and I had a pretty great day at the front edge of the last storm. That was last Thursday. Friday was crazy up in Craig from what I heard and saw pictures of with blizzard-like conditions. Power was out for most of the area and some folks went without it for more than 24 hours. The next day, cool and bright sun and the fishing was tough for most folks. In fact, I didn't hear a single good report for Saturday and Sunday, which would be pretty typical with that kind of weather and more importantly, weather shift.
 
Yesterday was my first day back on the water in a string of six. I figured things would settle down a bit and knew there would be bugs so fish would be eating. Right now, it's just finding the fish, which ultimately means find the food. It's really that simple. The last fish count estimated there being around 4,000 rainbows on the Missouri River each mile. The more the food gets concentrated, the more the fish get concentrated and right now, look in the scum lines and you'll see where the majority of the easy pickings are.
 
Here's the deal, though. Big browns; they don't like company and usually won't be in those huge pods of fish eating garbage. With the water coming up a bit and bugs hatching, look really close and you might find them where you didn't expect them. It might be a long day of hunting and your numbers of fish might go down but it could be worth it.
 
Keep 'em where they live...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment