Thursday, November 3, 2016

Wile E. Coyote Bobble Head

This was one of the cool rock formations I found while hiking around on day two of my trip to Sweet Grass Hills.
 
 
Out in the middle of nowhere, I sat down to try to get out of the crazy wind. This ranch is miles and miles from any Walmart or Costco or even just a gas station. When I was a kid--about 10 years old--I remembered lying down in the grass, looking up into the sky, talking to buddies about where we'd be living and what we'd be doing when we were 'grown up.' I always said I'd be living on a ranch out West and guiding hunters. This is what I imagined it would be like.  
 

 
Gumbo!!!
 

 
 
Two days of incredibly hard hunting started with a trip through the gumbo. I made the mistake of taking a road down into a huge coulee and almost spent the night there. When this stuff packs into your wheels, you just gotta put 'er in 4-low and pray for the best.
 

 
 
If you look real close at this picture, you'll see a road and an intersection. My truck is parked to the left of that. The Sweet Grass Hills are actually buttes that go straight up and are burly...amazing views though. If you ever wondered why they call Montana, "Big Sky" country. Now you know.
 
As for the hunting, I went up to the Sweet Grass Hills with the goal of trying to find a big mule deer. I saw a ton of deer and even more upland birds. I could have punched my tag many times but only saw one deer I might have shot had it been on the right side of the fence. I guess for him, he was on the right side...
 
Keep 'em where they live...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment