Friday, May 19, 2017

Make Sure to Purchase a 2017 AIS Prevention Pass

If you want to read for yourself, here's the link to the Helena IR: http://helenair.com/news/natural-resources/licensed-anglers-must-retroactively-purchase-ais-prevention-pass/article_48e715c0-1d4e-54ad-afd5-48d571b842bf.html

Otherwise, all you really need to know is that if you're planning to fish this season and you already bought your fishing license, you'll need to now purchase your AIS prevention pass. You can do that on-line and I'm guessing you can also purchase them at any licensing agent, e.g., fly shop, sporting goods store, etc. I'm not sure that you have to have one to guide anglers but I'd guess you would and for the $2 it costs for resident guides, I'd just not risk it.

To be clear, I 100% support the efforts to fund the prevention of AIS in Montana waters and feel an obligation and a duty to foot some of the bill because 1.) I have a huge stake in prevention, and 2.) I could possibly be putting our waters at risk by nature of what I do for a living. What absolutely blows my mind, however, is that the biggest threats to our environment and some of the biggest stakeholders are being given a pass while others that have absolutely no impact on AIS are left footing the bill.

I'll have to do some research to find out exactly what's in the final bill but if you remember, part of this bill was amended by the house, last minute to put out-of-state bicyclists on the hook for funding the effort. It also made boaters; both in-state and out-of-state, exempt from paying fees for preventing the spread of aquatic invasive species, which is REDICULOUS since they're the one's bringing it into the state. But I guess those folks holding the walleye tourneys had enough pull to get that passed. CRAZY!!! Our redneck politics at work I guess...

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment