Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Yes it's August and yes, once again, the fishing is stupid good!

 
 
Here's the deal. I feel like I have to say this every August out here on the Missouri River because it still hasn't caught on and it's literally, some of the best fishing of the season. And like I've said in the past, I'm not one to brag about fish counts but I took out Johnny LaRue and his dad the other day and we absolutely crushed it. I think Johnny probably put 20 fish like these in the net himself. Yeah! And look at that rainbow with a hopper sticking out of its mouth. Do you know how cool it is to watch a
trout annihilate a hopper? It's pretty sick.
 
 
So what's so great about fishing in August? It's weedy. It's hot. The fish aren't eating...right! Tell that to this guy. Here's the reality.
 
1.) Big fish are cruising around looking for protein. Once the tricos are done, fish still have to eat and they will forage for just about anything that looks like food so they eat the big stuff. That means, scuds, crayfish, hoppers, ants--you name it. If it's in the water they will eat it.
 
2.) It's not at all technical. There are weeds so try to simplify things--one fly. That's it. And on pretty heavy tippet material so you don't get tangles and you can avoid the weeds. And, you'll land more fish.
 
3.) Fish hang out in the weed beds. I know what you're thinking; you hate the weeds. Yeah, so do I but you're fishing the weed beds that are mid-river and you can avoid all the floating crap that gets hung up on the edges. If you rig it right, you don't have to be in the weeds.
 
4.) You literally have the entire river to yourself. The perception of the fishing and the weeds keeps people off the river but if you know how to fish it, you can have 30-40 fish days too and you can catch monsters! Trust me. Or don't even trust me, trust Johnny LaRue.
 
Keep 'em where they live...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment