Thursday, January 18, 2018

Michelle Hirschi's Golden Eye Recipe

I know. That's not a golden eye. It's proof that we have wood ducks in Montana. The problem is, they are usually the first ducks to get out of dodge in the fall. I did find a couple in town today, though. However, in this little honey-hole, you'll have to bring your camera if you want to shoot one. 

Last week, my podcast co-host's wife made some golden eyes for Scott to bring over and have me taste-test on air. So I did. If you want to get my reaction, listen in.


Here's her version of the recipe, verbatim as she wrote it down. She may have been drinking wine.

Golden eye recipe or something...
Brine:
Water - lots. Cover breast by at least an inch in container. Or so...
Coarse Salt- enough, but not like dry out your tongue salty, more like when your mom made you rinse if you had a sore throat salty.
Vinegar- some, more than a splash, almost like a measured couple of teaspoons.
Molasses- yeah, I guess I put in about a tablespoon? And don't look at me like that. I like molasses. Could lick it off the spoon.
Liquid aminos- Scott tried last time, worked then, so about a Tbsp
Let it set for two nights in refrigerator
Marinade: look I was trying something different...
H2O- oh I'd say two Tbsp.
Greek yogurt- this one had honey in it(I was thinking buttermilk) about maybe 1/4 cup. Or less or more, I'm just guessing here. I used a heaping big soup spoon.
Vinegar- splash, maybe a tsp, another guess.
Red pepper seeds/flakes - like the packets from Pizza Hut delivery, couple shakes maybe a 1/2 tsp
Liquid Aminos & Redused salt soy sauce- both to get umami flavor, I just poured some in, um maybe two tsp each?
Steak seasoning- I got mine at Big Lots, Kansas City style, about a Tbsp-ish. I like the fennel in it...
Cinnamon- dusting, pinch, tiny bit
Powdered ginger- Mckormic brand. Little red lid shaker bottle, pinch or two. I tapped the bottom of the bottle twice.
Salt and pepper- probably if I had to think about it maybe a tsp each
I'm sorry I'm not more precise with my measurements. I just go by what I like the flavor of and try to remember some basics of cooking, what my mom taught me, what my grandma taught me and  different flavor profiles. This is why I can't bake.  Too many rules, cooking is just fun and you can wing whatever you want. Or put whatever you want on wings...

Thanks Michelle and keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment