Monday, May 28, 2018

Bountiful Basket


The fishing was good this weekend. The picking was better.

It is the time of year when fungus is among us...(I know. It's old and not that clever but I'm milking it.) People are reporting some good harvests in the mountains and on the Missouri. The problem on the Missouri is everyone knows the spots and the shrooms get picked through pretty quick. What folks don't tend to look for however, are the oyster mushrooms.

I picked a big oyster last week and made probably the best cream of mushroom soup I've ever tasted. I know that sounds a little sacrilegious to waste such a beautiful specimen on soup but it was delicious.

5 cups of chopped oyster mushrooms
1/2 an onion
Garlic
   Saute in a little walnut oil and sherry.
Puree.
Add some beef stock, roux, heavy cream, more sherry, thyme, salt and butchers grind pepper, hot sauce and simmer down. Piece of cake.

One of the challenges of picking mushrooms on the islands is that the water is so high, it's covering up many of the spots that I've found them in years past. Yep. We have really high water. In fact, if you remember, I set the over/under for this year at 17,000 cfs. I picked the under and yesterday the Missouri reached 18,200. That'll cost me a bottle of whiskey.

The fishing is still pretty good though.

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment