Tuesday, June 12, 2018

The Many Shapes and Colors of the Morel


I got off the river early yesterday. Actually, we never even fished. My guy had a miserable time on the river the day before due to the wind and cold and decided he'd rather see more of Montana from the truck. We drove to Augusta and had lunch while taking in the sites from the Rocky Mountain Front. 

I dropped him off early and hung out at the shop for a bit when a buddy showed up with a bag of morels. He gave me the 411 and I immediately jumped in the truck and headed for the hills. 

You'll notice the many different shapes and colors in this bunch. I know it wigs people out a little with mushrooms--not knowing what is good or bad but morels are pretty safe even with the different varieties. Yes, there are "false morels" that can make you sick but they are quite a bit different in that the stem makes up most of the mushroom with a small nob on the top. Most of these are the black morels that grow up in the mountains and in burn areas. After last year, there are plenty of burn areas out here and the shrooms are still going strong. It won't last long though.

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment