Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Covered Up in Elk


Wow. A couple things about this picture. One, those antlers look a lot bigger than they are...it pays to learn how to take a good photo and two, I need some sleep. That is one puffy face.

But it's elk season and I only have a couple more days to get the job done. I've had opportunities. I actually passed on a couple shots now because I didn't feel good about the shot or I wasn't desperate enough to take a chance. 

The other night I was covered up in bugling elk. I hiked 7 1/2 miles and finally, started hearing bulls about an hour before sunset. One bull turned into two and then three and I swear by dark, there were 8 to 10 bulls lighting it up. The mountains were echoing but I ran out of light and needed to head out. I was a couple miles back and with bears and boulders and cliffs to negotiate, hiking out in the dark is a little unnerving.

I spent the night in the back country again. The plan was to get back into where these elk were early before they bedded down. I was so sure I was going to seal the deal that I brought my pack frame in with me. As hunting goes, those elk had partied all night and I was too late to catch them before bedding down. I heard a couple bugles in the distance but no opportunities. Maybe today is the day. It's Tuesday and I go back to work on Friday.

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment