Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Caddis, Caddis, and more Caddis


Unseasonably, warm weather is bringing a nice little surprise to anglers on the Mo. Caddis. It's tough to get a photo to do the amount of bugs buzzing around justice but all those little, (and big,) dots are caddis flies. We normally are looking for baetis, midges and some big October caddis at this time of the year but as the water temps come up throughout the day, caddis are loving it and fish are too.

My last trip I took a 68 year-old rookie out and literally, never threw a nymph-rig. If you are new the game yourself or new to the Missouri River, nymph fishing is the bread and butter for guides because it's not overly technical and you can usually get people into fish sooner than later with limited skills. But we said, "hell with that. We're going big dries or die," and we had a blast. 

The day started out with me teaching Paul how to cast and in the process, caught a little brown. He then landed his first fish in about 15 minutes of actual fishing as a nice rainbow gave him a slow roll on the stimi. Five minutes later, an 18 inch brown absolutely crushed the stimi in about a foot of water and Paul learned what fly-fishing on the Mo is all about.

Like I said, we had a blast from start to finish only throwing dry-flies. I can't tell you how much of a treat that is and I'm guessing Paul is now spoiled rotten on fly-fishing. If you want in, the guide season is certainly slowing down so we have plenty of opportunities. Give us a shout at 406-403-8163. With how hot it is, I'd rather be on the river than humping up the hills. 

Keep 'em where they live...

2 comments:

  1. Russ, Paul had a BLAST learning how to fly fish on the Missouri. You were a fabulous guide. Hope you are well and still enjoying the river daily! Be wary of next year, 'cause I am coming along and you can make an honest fisherchick out of me! --Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! I'm so, looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete