Saturday, September 5, 2020

Opening Day, 2020


Today is the first day of the 2020 Archery Season in Montana!! Well, besides the early antelope opening for archery that opened on August 15th. This bull was shot ten years ago and now takes up a good portion of my living room. I shot him an hour and a half into my first hunt of the season. Lucky? One-hundred percent luck. I was actually standing on the trail while walking in to do some scouting when I heard him bugle. We bumped into each other and shot him at 7 1/2 yards. 

I won't be hunting today, which is a bummer. I'll be on the river doing a last minute guide trip. Tis' the season when you way out the benefits of a paycheck over spending the time in the mountains chasing these fellas. Right now, since the action usually isn't real hot and heavy, I'm going to get paid but give it a week or so and you probably won't find me. 

I wrote a few weeks ago that I was going to spend some time chasing speed goats on the prairie and I did. Turns out, antelope are really hard to get close to; even with a decoy. I've been within 70 yards of group but one little slip-up and the next thing you know, they are 300 yards away. So it's on to the bulls. And this year, I'm going to be spending a ton of time in the mountains. The house is as far as it's going to get until my window order comes in, so this is my time.

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment