Friday, October 23, 2020

Winter Weather in October

 




The bad news is all my trips for the remainder of the year got canceled due to the weather. If it's it's not Covid is Mother Nature. The good news is all this weather is making the hunting pretty damn amazing. So screw it. No point in fighting it. Let's grab the guns.

I was getting ready for the up-coming rifle season yesterday and noticed Cutter. He looked bored as hell and I was feeling a bit guilty. The front was moving in and there were a few snow-flakes already so I grabbed the old Remington 870, a bag of decoys and we jumped in the truck and headed to the river. 

I wasn't completely sold on the idea that there would be a bunch of ducks coming down already so I had a plan B, which was to hunt upland birds on the Hutterite colony near Cascade. If we didn't see birds on the river, we could call a quick audible and try to find some roosters. There were birds. Tons of birds so we chucked out a few decoys and shot a limit in about 2 hours. 

What kind of ducks, you might ask? I shot green and blue wing teal, gadwalls, a red head, a spoon bill, and a widgeon. Truly a mixed bag and although I saw a few mallards, they are far from making their way down yet. I also saw tons of Canada geese and the first wave of snows. We usually don't see snow geese until a couple weeks into November. 

Tomorrow is the first day of the gun season for big game out here. A buddy is suppose to get here tonight but with the weather, that may or may not happen. We will be hitting the mountains hard the next week or so. It should be a lot of fun with the cold and snow. You really couldn't ask for better weather for hunting. I'm hoping to make up for a pretty abysmal archery season.

Keep 'em where they live... 

No comments:

Post a Comment