Monday, September 23, 2024

Youngster


Just a quick update as I only have a couple days left to my scheduled time off to chase elk. It's been pretty cool. I've checked out some new areas and have gotten into a lot of elk. This little spike I called in to about 20 yards and watched him for a good twenty minutes before he buggered out. I'm a meat hunter and would be happy to shoot anything legal for a freezer full of elk steaks but spikes are not legal to harvest in this area. 

I've spent a fair amount of time in the Lincoln area this archery season. The hiking has been brutal with all the dead fall in the burn areas. At times, I find myself practicing my balance beam routine on these logs as it's the only way to get through the tangled mess of dead and down, underbrush, and pecker poles. The good thing is I feel like I can safely rule out in any neurological or balance issues. 

Today I got within 50 yards of a huge bull that looked like a Clydesdale walking through the woods. He was with a couple rag horns but couldn't get a shot through the trees. I'm not sure what I would have done had I put one down in that kind of stuff. 

I did locate a bull last night in an area much easier to get to and with it being mid-week, I feel like I may have the mountain to myself. I've killed many elk in this area so let's keep our fingers crossed. Only two days to go!

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment