Thursday, May 1, 2014

Yo! Get Out of My Water, B....

 
I recently fished the Breaking Bad series and it may have influenced my vernacular a little...

These pelicans are incredibly beautiful in an incredibly not-so-beautiful way. When I first started fishing the Mo I was amazed to see them. Pretty much everyone who sees them for the first time is a little surprised. A lot of theories of where they come from and what they are doing here get tossed around. Supposedly, these are bachelor groups and the nesting pairs are on the reservoirs. I've also heard from an outfitter that's been here a while that the knobs on their bills distinguish the juvenile males from the females. When they mature they lose them.

They are kind of like the wolves of the river. They are beautiful but they eat a ton of fish. In packs like this, they actually work together to school up fish in the shallows and then take turns to dive-bomb them. It's pretty effective and although the eat a ton of whitefish, sculpins, crayfish, and yes, even trout, I don't think we have much to worry about. The fish population on the Mo is doing just fine.

As for the Breaking Bad series; if you haven't seen it yet, you really ought to yo! You won't be disappointed.

Keep 'em where they live... 

No comments:

Post a Comment