Monday, June 9, 2014

The Labrador

 
It's an interesting time on the Mo right now with some of the best dry fly fishing of the season but if fish aren't up, it can be tough. A couple days ago I took a buddy from Bozeman out and he learned the significance of presentation. Fish were up all over the river but if you didn't get the perfect drift right on their noses, you weren't going to get them. (BWT, I apologize for being too hard on you Scott. You do make a good punching bag though and I appreciate your friendship.) We did nymph fish in between pods and got a few but it wasn't as good as you'd think. The toilet bowls are loaded though so if you want to feel real dirty, spend some time in the scum and you'll bring numbers to the boat.
 
Yesterday we didn't get the clouds that we had the day before but we did still see a couple fish up. Jenna got this guy to eat the Labrador in some real soft water and her daughter was able to connect on a few as well. I'm not sure if I've introduced you to the Labrador yet but if not it's just a pattern that in and of itself, isn't all that special. It's just a palmered elk hair caddis. What makes it special is where the dubbing comes from.
 
As you may know, if you've been reading this blog for a while, I used to have a chocolate lab named Chase. (Chasen' Tail was is registered name.) He was truly my best friend. I know that kind of sounds sad but if you look at all we went through together, nobody has been there longer or more consistently. A guy I worked with told me that the undercoat from a chocolate he had a while ago made great dubbing, so I figured I'd try it out. Chase wasn't lacking in the undercoat department so I started brushing it out of him and saving it.
 
Chase developed cancer at only 9 years old and died the morning after surgery to remove his leg. I was devastated but now after a few years, I look in my fly box and I still have some of those caddis flies, which is a great reminder of the best fishing partner I've ever had. I also have plenty of dubbing left so I'll be able to replace whatever flies I lose. I still use them and they still work better than any caddis pattern I own.
 
Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment