Friday, March 25, 2011

Day One!!

Just a quick note. I had my first guide day yesterday and it went off with a bang! or a snap and a whip? I was smacked in the face with a sinker, check nymph and a bobber and let me tell you, in 32 degree weather, that fricken stings. We also broke a rod; my brand new TFO BVK, which is a great nymphing rod and one I would have liked to keep for a while...we'll see if TFO stands by their product or if I'll still have to send the 25 bucks in. The rod broke while my guy was casting. (Sounds a lot like the problem Orvis was having with the Zero Gravity...broke right at the feral.) I've only had it out three or four times and there wasn't really any user error that I could see.

As for the fishing, we only were out for about 3 hours. My guy showed up with his eight-year old boy who was quite sure he'd be ok with sweats and a wind-breaker. After the folks at Headhunter's (thanks Mark and Julie,) scrambled to hook the boy up with some hand warmers, wool socks, snow pants and long underwear, it was still too cold. He was a trooper though. He gave it a good go and he didn't wine at all. I was pretty impressed but about 1/2 mile above the take-out he said in a quite voice, "Can we go now?"

Up until then the fishing was spotty. When you found them, they ate. Look for the soft water on the inside bends just on the edges of the shelf. Get it down to them and you will hook up. Think orange.

Well, I'm definitely thankful for the early day and am looking forward to more of them. This is the first time I've made my first tips at the beginning of the season before spending my last of the previous season...feels pretty good.

Keep 'em where they live y'all...

No comments:

Post a Comment