Wednesday, April 13, 2011

River Clean-up


It's interesting how fish are viewed differently in different regions. In MN, this gal would be queen and in most lakes, she would fall in the 1 per angler size range at 30 inches. In the Missouri River however, we wack 'em. They eat a ton of trout and as long as they stay in the lakes and reservoirs, we are tolerant of them but in the lower river, there isn't even a limit on how many of these one can keep. Don't get me wrong, a fish this size is rare but they are not indigenous and so far, trout fishing is still king.


The crazy thing is, we actually were walleye fishing with flies when I caught this one; not a very traditional method of fishing walleyes and probably the first time I really tried fly fishing for them. And, even though I grew up walleye fishing in MN, it's the biggest walleye I've ever caught.


Keep 'em where they live...which means deep and slow if you're targeting these guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment