Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Sometimes it is the Arrow

Two days off!! In a row! I spent them in Bozeman checking out weapons. Hunting season is coming up so it's time to gear up. I've been shooting my dad's Remington 760 pump 30-06 and although I used to be dead accurate with it, I've been having some real issues lately. Anybody that's hunted with me in the past few years can attest to that. The gun was handed down to me after my dad had a stroke when I was nine. I've shot too many deer to count with it as well as a couple elk. The last few years however, I've been having a hard time getting a grouping with it. I've had a gun-smith check it, tried different ammo, and even put a new scope on it. I figured it was just me. I've even talked to a lot of clients who know guns and they couldn't figure it out either. A few days ago I tried sighting it in again and had the same problem. I shot a box of shells through it and never really was confident that I would be able to hit a paper plate at 100 yards. That's pretty frustrating given the fact that years ago I was able to shoot the head off a grouse with it at 50 yards. So while in Bozeman I found a .270 Ruger American for $320. I jumped. I got home yesterday and put the scope I had bought for my dad's gun on it and went to the range. A box of shells later and I'm hitting a 3" circle at 100 yards...can't blame anymore misses on the gun. Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment