Thursday, November 21, 2013

Another Try

I vowed not to antelope hunt anymore because the first steaks I had out of the one I shot was NASTY. I tried it again for lunch before heading back out to fill my cow tag and I have to say, it's pretty damn good if you cook it right and eat the right cuts.

I was at the Frenchman one night and these guys were talking about hunting and the topic of antelope and eating antelope came up and this guys is saying how good it is as long as you cook it right.

"Here's what you gotta do," he says, "You got to cook it real slow, ya see. Take a zip-lock freezer bag and put some onion soup mix in it with a little bit of moisture. Then add your steaks and make sure they're totally coated with the mixture and place the bag in boiling water in a double boiler. Then turn the burner down and cook it like that for like; an hour and a half. You gotta cook it real slow," he says, "and in a bag to keep all that moisture in..."

I tried that recipe and almost puked. It tasted exactly like it smelled while I was gutting it out. Disgusting.

So yesterday I cooked the tenderloins. I salt and peppered them, seared them on a hot skillet and then baked them with my asparagus for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees. I was probably a little long as the meat turned out medium-well but let me tell you, it was tender and no gameness. Honestly, not much flavor to antelope but not bad. If fact, it was pretty damn good.

As for the elk hunting; we need snow! The elk have too many places to go and it's definitely not where I've been.

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment