Sunday, January 19, 2014

Winter Fun

We hit the hill pretty hard for the first time yesterday. It was an absolutely gorgeous day out there and although I didn't get into any powder to test the "Big Stix," the mashed potatoes on the groomed trails held nicely and the introductory turns for 2014 went off without a hitch...no broken bones or torn ligaments, which is more than I can say for at least one good buddy out there. Sorry Jeff.
 
Who am I kidding? I just got into skiing at age 41 and now into my third year I barely know the difference between mashed potatoes and corn but I do know I suck in powder so I'm hoping to get some good practice with some fatty skis this winter. We are well above normal snow-pack for most of the state, which get's folks excited about having a decent amount of water next summer. It's still too early to tell, however and with the last precipitation being a week ago, I'm holding back my optimism for the next round of storms.
 
We also took in a pretty damn good movie last night, "Lone Survivor." I could never pretend to know what soldiers go through in the heat of battle or what they're thinking of and I will tell you, this movie is not for the weak at heart. The critics said, "so-so," on this movie but the public said, "must go." I'm not sure why the critics were so down on it but I think they did a damn good job of bringing many of the emotions from those guys to the screen and I certainly walked away with a different perspective.
 
Regardless what you believe as far as politics or whether or not we should be in these regions, these guys and their families go through things that we will never fully grasp and we should just say, "Yep, you are the shit and you deserve whatever support we can give." I, for one, will continue to keep giving what I can to their cause and would encourage everyone to watch this movie and hopefully, give back what you can.
 
Keep 'em where they live... 

No comments:

Post a Comment