Thursday, November 6, 2014

Novemeber Grip and Grins


I burned my deer tag on a whitetail yesterday. I went out to my little honey hole and glassed this guy from only about 300 yards. It was so windy I couldn't steady my shot so I let him drop down into the coulee and I put a stalk on him.

I jumped three other bucks and 4 or 5 does out of that coulee. This guy was the last to come busting out and was by far the biggest of the bunch. He's not huge and I could have been more patient to try to shoot a monster but he is an old buck that probably won't get any bigger than this. I'm also still all too familiar with the realization that letting a good buck go to shoot an even bigger buck, sometimes results with you eating your tag so with only a few seconds to decide, I dropped him.

Someday I want to shoot a big mule deer to hang on my wall but until I have that opportunity to hunt areas where the big boys hang out, I'm going to be happy with shooting quality whitetails like this. They are a lot of fun and in my opinion, they eat much better than a big ole mulie. We'll see about this guy. Like I said, he's old and very cool looking. I might save the cape and mount a rack from a buck from a few years ago. Or, maybe I'll take one of my dad's and have it mounted...hmm...I need to think about that.

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment