Monday, December 15, 2014

December Warm Brings Crazy Wind

 
The last few weeks have been crazy warm out here in Montana. With 60 degrees last Friday, Nathaniel, Torrey and I decided to hit the Maddi for a little winter action since there are NO birds around here...that is, unless you want to set up in the ponds right next to The Home Depot. The problem is; warm December days usually mean crazy wind and Friday didn't disappoint...we did have quite a few interactions with trout though.
 
So Friday was 60 degrees in Bozeman and Saturday a storm blew in bringing snow and 30's. It set up for a perfect Sunday duck hunt. The snow was still falling Sunday evening and Jill and I were ready for them however, the ducks and geese didn't get the memo. We saw one flock flying over us on the Madison going 100 miles an hour and not looking to land.
 
The last couple weeks have been tough for this outdoor enthusiast. (It's probably why I was a little snarky in the last post as I run out of things to write about.) I don't want to whine because I know I could be sitting at a desk hating my job but being in Bozeman has been taking it's toll. Bozeman is a great town and there is a lot to do but that also translates to a lot more people putting a lot of pressure on the wildlife and a lot of land being tied up by landowners that are tired of people asking for access. I think I've probably put about 20 hours of windshield time in between the Madison and the Yellowstone in the last couple weeks and I have yet to fire a shot at a duck or goose or anything but a water bottle. (I bought a .22 at the gun show yesterday and sighted it in...)
 
The fishing can be good down here in the winter when the weather is right and I'm still optimistic that the Northern Flight of ducks and geese will make their way. There's no way this last little system, or the last couple cold snaps sent all the waterfowl heading south. We still have a month left of the season so I'll keep putting the work in and hopefully the two boxes of shells I still have laying on the floor boards won't get me through.
 
Keep 'em where they live...
 
P.S. It's not all for loss, folks. There are some exciting things in the works and much of my time has been occupied with big plans for the future. Keep tuning in. As plans progress and the odds that it all works out slides further in my favor, you will hear about it.  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment