Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Spaghetti Omelets - Yep

What you've all been waiting for...

I always thought if I had a lodge or a diner, I would definitely feature these omelets 'cause they are so delicious. You have to commit though and go in with an open mind. Trust me. You're taste buds will scream with joy. (Are you kidding me? Now I sound like the Pioneer Woman...it's going to be a long winter.)

Hopefully, you've made your elk spaghetti a few nights ago and now it's been sitting in the fridge anxiously waiting to become what will be your breakfast masterpiece. (Actually, you could eat these for dinner too. It's your call. I remember having breakfast for dinner a lot as a kid.) Gather up your leftover noodles and sauce, a stick of butter, a little milk, a few eggs, salt and pepper, and some shredded cheddar.

Take about a quarter of a stick of butter and melt it in in an iron skillet. Once it's melted, grab a handful of noodles and add it to the pan. Sauté the noodles with a little salt and pepper until the noodles just start to brown. They will start to crisp up but you don't want them too get hard.


In a bowl, mix three eggs with a couple tablespoons of milk and add to the noodles. (Why scramble eggs with milk? I don't know, just do it...my grandma always did. [Actually, it makes the eggs much fluffier.]) Make sure the sauce pan isn't too hot. Fold the eggs into the noodles while cooking and then spread the egg/noodle mix out over the pan. As the eggs cook, pull the cooked eggs into the center and allow uncooked eggs to spill into the spaces in the pan. Do this a few times until the eggs are cooked about 3/4 of the way.

While cooking the eggs, heat up a cup of spag sauce. (Hopefully, you followed the recipe because the fennel, crushed red peppers and brown sugar absolutely make this omelet.) Spread the sauce out on top of the eggs/noodles with a generous amount of cheese. Fold your omelet and spread a little cheese on top. I like to take a lid and baste my omelets before I serve them just to make sure everything is all melted and hot, and the eggs are cooked.

 
Here's a little trick. I cook just about everything in an iron skillet and on a gas stove. With eggs and a lot of other dishes, I keep the flame on the skillet until the dish is about 80% cooked and then I shut off the heat. The iron skillet will remain hot until everything is cooked but won't burn anything. While basting the eggs, I don't have the heat on at all. It's just the residual heat from the skillet. That way I can butter my toast or re-fill my coffee and not worry about scorching anything but keep the omelet hot.

Go ahead and dish that bad boy up and grab a seat in front of the TV to watch your game.

 
Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment