Monday, September 5, 2016

2016 Montana Bow Hunting Opener


It doesn't look like much does it? Well, it's one good sign for my honey hole that there are elk in the area. The problem is, they aren't talking. The hunters are though.

I was checking out another watering hole and just to see if I could get a bull to answer me I let out a little bugle followed by a few cow calls and then another bugle. A couple minutes later I heard a hunter coming up behind me with his version of some wondering cows calling and then a bugle. A couple minutes later and he called again but this time, within 75 yards. I had called in a hunter.

I circle around and quietly walked up behind him. I must have made a noise because he snapped around to take a look at me and I said, "Hey, I think you're trying to call me in..."

I was interested in talking to him because of last year's incident with someone steeling the ivory teeth out of the bull I shot near there. I thought he might have been with the group camping at the bottom of the drainage who were the likely suspects but he wasn't. In fact, he turned out to be a pretty good guy and although the weekend was a bust for the elk hunting, we sat and chatted for about a half hour, sharing stories and I may have even learned something about the area that gives me a little hope for late season success.

I'm on the river for a few days this week and then I might change gears and bow hunt for antelope since I drew a pretty good tag down in the Ruby Valley. The whole elk thing is so alluring though so who knows, maybe I'll be back at it sooner than later. I'll keep you posted.

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment