Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Bernie the Billionaire's

 
If you've spent much time on the Missouri River below Craig, MT, you've probably seen this house. Everyone has some kind of reaction to it whether that's; "Oh, cool. Look at that house!" or it's like, "Oh wow, that's a lot of fricken windows. I'm glad I don't have to wash them." Regardless, it is impressive and it comes with some mystery and mystique.
 
Dave Ames wrote about Bernie the Billionaire in his book, "A Good Life Wasted," and with the help of his accounts of Bernie and the groups he used to guide out of this house, there have been some rumors and speculation about just what kind of a guy Bernie was. Well, I don't really know and I probably never will because he died some 10 or 12 years back but the house he built here on what was his favorite little fishing hole on the Missouri has become one of those landmarks we refer to on almost a daily basis.
 
The fishing can be stupid in "Bernie's hole" and the duck hunting in "Bernie's channel" has produces some pretty sick memories. Cutter retrieved his first duck at Bernie's and I'm pretty sure Chase retrieved his last there as well. Last week, I had the unique opportunity to build more memories of this iconic place as I was ask to guide for one of Bernie's son's trips out of the house.
 
While guiding some of Todd's buddies, I did get the chance to ask some questions about the house and what was in it. We even ate lunch in the house on one of the days and it is impressive although we weren't given the tour so we only saw the kitchen and the great room. I learned a little bit about it and gather some assumptions about who Bernie was but as for clearing up any of the mystery; I think I'll leave it out there. It's just more fun.
 
Keep 'em where they live...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment