Monday, April 16, 2018

Long Winter


Just got back from the vet...Cutter was shamed a little and now he's not feeling good about his body image. Last time he got shots he was 72 lbs. Today he weighed in at a hefty 88. Looks like someone is going to have to get out and do a few more sit-ups. 

Obviously, it's not Cutter's fault he's a bit over-weight. It's not his job to get out and get exercise. We, as pet owners, owe it to our best buddies to get them out and keep the weight off. We also are responsible for what we feed them. Their weight and how fit they are is just as important as ours and is our responsibility. If we give them opportunities to exercise, they will. 

Overweight dogs can develop many of the same issues we do as humans. The biggest and most common problems usually have something to do with their joints and being overweight for even short periods can lead to hip dysplasia, torn ligaments, and arthritis. If you want to keep your dog healthy and happy into their teens, start now. I have to say, I feel a little bad that we let this go as long as we have. 

This winter was tough so exercise was a challenge. Cutter isn't a big "fetch" kind of guy. He'll play but he loses interest pretty quick. Plus, you lose a lot of balls in the snow. I like to get down to the river where he can chase birds up and down the bank as they fly by, (he really believes he can catch them.) But even today, it's half raining--half snowing, AGAIN. But you just gotta do it. I was going to the gym 5 days a week while Cutter was lying around the house for the past couple months. That's not good and even though we are pretty diligent about not over-feeding that's just not enough.

So besides exercise, feeding is incredibly important to keep them healthy and happy. Check your food bag for ingredients. There's a lot of research out there but the general rule of thumb for us is look at the first few ingredients and if there's corn or wheat before protein, that's no good. In fact, I'm a firm believer in no corn or wheat. Cutter is on a salmon and sweet potato diet from Kirkland. It's great for his coat and it's packed with good protein and the right filler to prevent allergies but still keep the landmines in the yard relatively solid, if you know what I mean. However, salmon can also be pretty fatty so that might be where the weight is coming from.

Table scraps are a NEVER for us. Not only does it pack on weight quickly, it also teaches really bad habits. Although, lately Cutter has been begging a little more than usual at the table. Hmm...I might have to do some investigating. 

We have a pretty strict regimen for feeding as well. Patrick, Jill's son, is really good about taking on the responsibility of feeding Cutter. He gets one cup of food in the morning before Patrick goes to school and one cup before we eat in the evening. That way we know to ask Patrick if Cutter ate before we double up on a meal. It also teaches him some responsibility. 

As for me, I'm afflicted with the same issue. I have been working out. I have also been watching what I eat. I was gaining ground for a while and got myself within 7 pounds of a realistic goal. I was about 12 pounds from what I would think is ideal. A couple extra nights at the brewery in town may have caused a little regression. I'll need to do a few more push-ups too before the season gets crazy. In fact, that's where I'm headed now.

Keep 'em where they live...

P.S. I'm still looking for a counter-part for The Montana Dream Cast. Let me know if you, or someone you know, is interested. 

No comments:

Post a Comment