Thursday, November 28, 2019

My Chi


I've been so busy on the house, hunting has taken a back-seat. I have gotten out a few times for some evening hikes to my honey-hole but the bucks never really got after it and the one time I saw elk, I thought it was going to be a chip shot at a bull so I wasn't very careful sneaking up on them to get a better shot and a couple cows busted me.

I worked on the house until about noon yesterday and when I was pretty confident the electrician wasn't going to make it, I bailed and headed north to a ranch that has allowed me hunting access for about 10 years now. The son-in-law told me he would like the 4 by 4's culled out so...

I tell you what, I replaced my .270 Ruger American with a Ruger Hawkeye in the same caliber and it is pretty fricken amazing. I love the caliber and I love shooting that gun. This buck got up out of some brush and stopped at about 200 or 225 yards. I didn't have time to set up on the sticks so I shot freehand and dumped him. Probably my all time greatest shot though, was on a coyote a couple weeks ago.

I brought a friend up to the ranch to put some venison in the freezer and as we crested one side of a coulee, a coyote took off up the other side. I leaned into a boulder for a rest and as the coyote climbed the mini-canyon wall, I squeezed and smoked him. I'm not big on shooting things I don't eat but there are a lot of coyotes out there and the ranchers want them gone so I'm doing my part. After the shot, I ranged him where he was at 236 yards on the move.

It feels good to have a win.

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment