Sunday, December 1, 2013

Final Day

Today is the last day of the 2013 big game gun season. The weather hasn't really been cooperating at all as we've had too much wind, sun and not nearly enough snow to bring the elk back down to earth. This last day shouldn't be much different as the temps are suppose to remain in the 40's and the wind is suppose to reach 30 mph.

Because the elk hunting has sucked so bad where I expected to fill my cow tag, I've been helping friends fill deer tags, which has actually been a lot of fun. Mike Kuhnert and I spent the last few days chasing those critters around and finally we connected on a nice little mule deer. It's Mike's first deer ever and he shot it with his dad's Remington 700, 30-06. I've hunted with my dad's gun for years so I know the feeling of shooting that first deer or elk with it and wondering if the old guy would be looking down somehow and be proud. Nice job Mike. I'm sure he would be.

As for me; I haven't really had the chance to shoot anything with my new .270 for at least a month and I was itching to pull the trigger. The property I've been hunting has a pretty bad coyote problem so I carried my gun thinking I would whack one if I got a chance. We were side-hilling a coulee when this coyote took off up the opposite ridge. When he got to the top he was running about a hundred miles an hour straight away. I chambered a round and dropped the scope on him and just before he went out of sight, squeezed off a shot and rolled him.

This season has been a season of some pretty amazing shots and that one probably ranks way up there for me. As I've always said, there is way more luck involved than skill but if you keep putting yourself in the game, things eventually fall into place. Let's hope luck brings some random cows down today.

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment