Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Computer Woes - Clean It Up, Speed it Up

Over the years I've dealt with many computer problems as I'm sure you all can relate, that have nearly caused the demise of a number of laptops. From sound editing to video production software to just the normal everyday stuff, there are plenty of opportunities for downloading crap onto your computer that sends you into an abyss of syntax errors, file extensions, malware, computer cleanup downloads that are a total a scam, and now; non-Microsoft shell extensions that somehow come with certain applications that completely "f" up things like right-clicking in you file explorer.  Ahhhh!!!!!

I know, you're probably thinking, "What does this have to do with the outdoors of Montana and this blog?"

Well, after recently purchasing a GoPro, along with it being winter and now having settled into a house with a shop and a garage and my own office, I've been delving deeper and deeper into the multi-media side of sharing my experiences, which means I need to not only figure out interesting ways to shoot videos but I also need music so I'm re-mastering some old recordings to bring them up to the level I'm comfortable with sharing. I also have old videos that were shot in HD but I didn't have the software or the computer to be able to produce high-def videos so I'm revisiting some of that as well. Like I said, with all the new and very cool programs out there for editing, I'm also subjecting myself to a LOT of speed bumps that is now resulting an education in PC repairs. It might seem a little boring but it may help some of you in the future.

Let me just give you two programs that might save your computer from the waste-pile. 1.) Malwarebytes. It's free and it will eliminate malware and other potential problems without having to wait for hours to scan just to tell you, you have 837 potential problems but for only $99.99, it will fix them for you. Don't do it. Those programs are putting crap on your computer.

The other thing I found today after right-clicking on my video folders and having my computer freeze up. It's ShellExView and it's free as well. It basically just shows you all the shell extension files that are messing with the good shell extensions and once you disable them, your computer will be a hundred times faster. Really. And you won't have to spend a few hundy paying someone else to clean up your computer. And, your computer might stay out of the rubbish pile.

Keep 'em where they live...

No comments:

Post a Comment