Tuesday, July 26, 2016

102 Casts

 
This is Bob Thomas with a great brown he caught on the Labrador. If you scroll down a few posts, look at the brown Al Caucci caught a couple weeks ago...same place, same size and shape; cuz it's the same fish! Al's was caught on another caddis imitation but it was literally only about five feet from where Bob caught it. I went back there a few days later and think we might have missed it a third time on a hopper. Kind of crazy.
 
July is winding down and I have a few days off for myself to get caught up on my chores and to maybe get out and do some fishing on my own. It's been a good season so far. What started out a little slow on pre-bookings has filled up nicely for me thanks to a few last minute bookings and a big thanks to the outfitters willing to throw me a bone like Mitch K, G Munson, Wolf Creek Angler, Ed Lawrence, and Craig Fellin. And the clients have been just what you'd want as a guide; bringing some skill but more importantly, a desire to learn and a willingness to challenge themselves by throwing dries.
 
As for the fishing, it's been good and I suspect it will continue to fish well. This is the time of the year where the bugs kind of disappear with the exception of tricos but fish are still hungry. Not only that but the browns will actually start eating even more as the nights get longer and cooler and they start gearing up for the spawn. I know, they won't spawn for a few months but their bodies will tell them to eat and it's usually in August when we catch the toads on big stupid stuff like crayfish and terrestrials. August get's kind of a bad rap on the Mo but don't sleep on it. It can be pretty damn cool.
 
Keep 'em where they live...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment